NFDA Consumer Tips on Prepaying Your Funeral
- Choose a licensed funeral director who has a good reputation in the community.
- Make sure your funds are secured. Ask your funeral director how the funds are invested and check over time to ensure the funds are keeping pace with inflation.
- Make sure your plan is flexible that you may be able to alter plans if you wish and/or may be transferred to a funeral director in another state in case you move.
- Consider carefully before accepting an irrevocable agreement (a contract that cannot be canceled.) Irrevocable agreements are fine when eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid or other public benefits are being determined but may limit your flexibility.
- Have a family member sit in during arrangements to help plan.
- Like any contract, before signing, reread it carefully and make sure you understand all the provisions. Ask questions.
- Keep a copy of your plan in a safe place. Inform a close family member or friend that you have made arrangements and where the documents are kept.
- Make sure everything you talk about is put in writing. Get copies for you and your family.